While The Old Globe does not offer a formal internship program, individual departments sometimes have openings for interns for various projects. All internships are unpaid unless otherwise noted.
Stage Management Internship
We are currently accepting stage management internship applications for the 2016 season:
- There are two internships available on Rain from February 9 to April 1, 2016.
- There is one internship available on Camp David from April 12 to May 20, 2016.
- There is one internship available on tokyo fish story from April 19 to June 2, 2016.
- There are two internships available on Macbeth from May 10 to June 25, 2016.
- There are two internships available on Sense and Sensibility from June 7 to July 14, 2016.
- There are two internships available on Love’s Labor’s Lost from July 5 to August 20, 2016.
Applications for Rain need to be submitted as soon as possible.
Applications for Camp David and tokyo fish story are due by February 1.
Applications for the summer shows (Macbeth, Sense and Sensibility, Love’s Labor’s Lost) are due by February 21, 2016.
Applicants should have a strong interest in professional stage management. Interns will work alongside AEA stage managers throughout all aspects of the rehearsal process. Interns will be involved in daily rehearsals, technical rehearsals, production meetings, and understudy rehearsals. There will be opportunities to observe the calling of shows, backstage operations, etc. The Old Globe is one of the country’s finest regional theatres, attracting nationally known actors, directors and designers. The stage management internship is a full-time commitment, six days a week. A typical internship lasts eight weeks, though the length of internship could be adapted to fit school schedules.
It is the responsibility of the intern to coordinate class credit with the intern’s school. The Old Globe will be happy to cooperate with your institution to complete any necessary paperwork.
At this time, stage management internships at The Old Globe are not paid positions. Interns will be considered company members, however, and will receive other perks such as complimentary tickets and free entrance to Balboa Park attractions.
Please send a cover letter, resume and two letters of recommendation to: